Friday, July 11, 2008

You need this book!

It's impossible to raise children without this book, so I HOPE you already have it! It explains the importance of reading aloud,in Jim Trelease's inimitable and readable style. In the back of the book is a "Treasury" of hundreds of the best books to read aloud, for children from birth through high school.(Parents and teachers stop reading aloud by middle school, when coincidentally reading achievement plummets.) This book has been invaluable to me as a parent, a teacher, and a librarian, and has steered me to fantastic books I would never have found otherwise.
I bought the first edition when my oldest child, now 26, was two years old, and own all 6 editions, and have used them when teaching, working in a library, and choosing books for my own children. While the fifth and sixth edition are still available from Amazon, earlier editions can be found at used book stores and libraries. Older editions have unique articles and list wonderful books that may now be out of print but can still be located.

No comments: